Saturday, January 18, 2014

Artisanship

This fall I was riding my motorcycle back form a camping trip and I rode strait past Bristol Pottery.  My interest had been piqued and I turned around and went back.  


I walked up and a man came out to talk to me.  He was the artist and the man running the studio.  He showed me around and told me about his studio and his work.


I can tell he has an immense appreciation for life and nature, something I think we have in common.  


He and his work represents an image very special to me.  It's an image of doing what you love, being good at it, and sharing it with others.  


To people like us the word "handmade" doesn't mean something is better or more functional.  It's a connection between people.  When we know where things come from and who made them we feel more connected to the world.  It doesn't matter if the object was made 60 miles away, or 6000 miles away.  


That't not to say that his work isn't functional or high quality. In fact quite the opposite.  All of his work is oven, microwave, and dishwasher safe.  


I ended up buying two of the cups on the small center table.  They are my favorite cups and if he ever decides to make a teapot, I'll buy one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment